BAT is evolving at pace - truly like no other organisation.
To achieve the ambition, we have set for ourselves, we are looking for colleagues who are ready to live our ethos every day. Come be a part of this journey! We are BAT! A global leader with more than 200 brands in over 180 markets. And we bring together the world's brightest and best minds. That’s why we value uniqueness.
British American Tobacco is looking for Senior Legal Counsel Magreb to join our team in Algiers, Algeria
Reporting to the TCNA Area Head of Legal, the job holder will be working in a dynamic, fast-paced environment and will be expected to engage confidently and effectively with senior local and global stakeholders. The job holder will provide dedicated specialist legal and commercial advice and expertise to the local legal entity and all relevant global BAT functions as advised from time to time. They will act as a trusted advisor to Leadership Teams and Line Management to ensure informed business decisions are made to support commercial opportunities whilst always ensuring legal compliance is adhered and business risks are effectively mitigated.
The Legal Counsel is responsible for:
- providing commercial legal advice and expertise as well as leading and managing legal and regulatory risks of the Company in all respects
- ensuring robust corporate and functional governance is in place for internal compliance with the support of external legal counsel
- providing a high professional standard of legal support to the Company through the application of excellent counselling, drafting and negotiation skills
- providing pragmatic and strategic advice and support to business partners and stakeholders, locally and globally
- taking a leading role in problem-solving and decision-making in all areas of the business, and consistently working to minimize and manage commercial and legal risks
- Providing marketing legal support
Litigation, Compliance and Reporting:
- Ensure the provision of legal support
- Liaising with external Legal counsel
- Update and manage the Litigation tracker
- Review Litigation Processes
- Review and approvals of brand campaigns and activities
- Drive for continuous improvement in the control environment (ABAC - Anti Bribery and Corruption, SoBC, Local Legislations and Company Policies) including delivering training sessions, following up on execution and managing all related reporting tasks.
- Manage all internal global reporting requirements
Corporate and Commercial Support:
- Draft, negotiate and review contractual documentation for the Company and develop where applicable standard formats, to ensure that the Company’s interests are legal, valid, binding, enforceable and adequately protected
- Provide legal advice on corporate governance and regulatory matters and liaise with external legal counsel in this area
- Ensure contracts are renewed as and when necessary and terminated as applicable
- Provide active support to the Company on company secretarial matters, compliance, corporate governance, appropriate legal advice and opinion on legal and regulatory issues.
- Ability to identify and engage internal and external stakeholders to deliver Company objectives
- Ability to engage and communicate at all levels in a clear and coherent manner
- Strong influencing and problem-solving skills; with the ability to work with peers and senior management, inspiring trust and confidence.
- Capacity to explain highly complicated and technical issues and concepts including identification of relevant business considerations for decision making purposes
- Ability to understand the needs of the business and express them clearly, concisely and effectively
A lawyer with:
- Professional legal qualifications and practical commercial legal experience of not less than 3 (three) years and up to 5 years
- Working knowledge of commercial law, company law and company secretarial management, finance, tax, employment law
- Ability to formulate, advise on and implement legal strategy within a multinational business context
- High degree of self-motivation and initiative
- Ability to work well as a member of a multi-disciplinary team
- Ability to mobilise external resources to support the business
- Experience in dealing with government and regulatory authorities
- Ability to apply knowledge of legal drafting to produce standard business critical agreements and adapt creatively where necessary
- Proactively communicate legal concepts to business colleagues in clear, simple terms
- Experience in dealing with corporate and commercial legal issues
- Good commercial judgment; ability to work under pressure
- Ability to organise, prepare and deliver power point presentations
- Effective negotiation skills
- Strong inter-personal, oral and written communication skills.
- Appropriate level of maturity to provide credibility at senior levels externally and internally
- Excellent written and spoken English and French languages
- Area and global Legal and Corporate Affairs teams
- Senior stakeholders and functional leadership teams of local entity
- Other local functions’ members
- Global functions
- External counsels
- Government Authorities, where relevant
- Professional Bodies and Organisations
- Regulators, where relevant
BELONGING, ACHIEVING, TOGETHER
Collaboration, diversity and teamwork underpin everything we do here at BAT. We know that collaborating with colleagues from different backgrounds is what makes us stronger and best prepared to meet our business goals. Come bring your difference!