JOB TITLE: Senior Legal Counsel
FUNCTION: LEX Switzerland
SUB FUNCTION: LEGAL
CITY & COUNTRY: Lausanne, Switzerland
What are the key objectives and expectations from this role?
- As Senior Legal Counsel you are fully responsible for the day to day general commercial and marketing advice to all parts of the Company, which includes the legal review of advertising activities for BAT’s Potentially Reduced-Risk Products (PRRP). You are ensuring the timely delivery of legal services in relation to its business and operations whilst contributing to the compliance of the Company to regulation and corporate governance principles. You are also interacting with different departments which requires an openness to business and an ability to give pragmatic and concise legal advice to non-lawyers.
What is the direct impact of this role on the team or organization?
- We have a clear purpose to build A Better Tomorrow by reducing the health impact of our business. These products will be advertised and marketed in a different way than the “classical” tobacco products were in the past. This role will help to transform the way we advertise and market our new products in the digital aera with professional and first class legal advice.
- Provide timely and professional legal advice to all functions and appropriate training guaranteeing a proactive approach in the protection of the Company and its employees, assets and reputation
- Ensure the organization’s understanding of BAT’s legal requirements and standards by validating and risk analyzing marketing activities and support their compliance
- Effectively draft and review all contracts and procurement documents, ensuring compliance with applicable policies as well as the protection of the Company as a whole
- Provide counselling to all functions in respect of contractual matters
- Provide timely and professional legal advise related to labour law matters Contribute to cross functional projects and initiatives to assess, monitor and anticipate potential threats to the business such as competitor's activities, to support the achievement of the business objectives
- Monitor and interpret the legislation environment in which the Company operates to ensure proper and timely compliance
- Identify legal priorities and compliance procedures for the business to ensure an internal environment in which the business understands and meets its legal obligations
- Manage contracts in accordance with BAT's contracts managament best practices
- Manage mandates assigned to external counsels to ensure quality of work product and compliance with external counsel guidelines
- Effectively manage litigation and administrative proceedings of the type ordinarily arising in the course of the Company’s business
Internal working relationships: BAT Switzerland Head of Legal and External Affairs (LEX), LEX Team, Management Team, Marketing Function, managers and employees
External working relationships: Law firms, customers and suppliers
- Recognized Master’s degree in Swiss law and/or be qualified as a lawyer
- Minimum of 5-7 years of experience in a private legal practice and/or in a corporate environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required as well as a good command of both French and German along with fluency in English
- Ability to act on own initiative, applying good judgement
- Strong influencing and problem-solving skills, with the ability to work with peers and senior management, inspiring trust and confidence
- Ability to explain highly complicated and technical issues and concepts including identification of relevant business considerations for decision
- Ability to understand the needs of the business and express them clearly, concisely, and effectively
WE ARE BAT
At BAT we are committed to our Purpose of creating A Better Tomorrow. This is what drives our people and our passion for innovation. See what is possible for you at BAT.
- Global Top Employer with 53,000 BAT people across more than 180 markets
- Brands sold in over 200 markets, made in 44 factories in 42 countries
- Newly established Tech Hubs building world-class capabilities for innovation in 4 strategic locations
- Diversity leader in the Financial Times and International Women’s Day Best Practice winner
- Seal Award winner – one of 50 most sustainable companies
BELONGING, ACHIEVING, TOGETHER
Collaboration, diversity and teamwork underpin everything we do here at BAT. We know that collaborating with colleagues from different backgrounds is what makes us stronger and best prepared to meet our business goals. Come bring your difference!