BAT is evolving at pace - truly like no other organisation.
To achieve the ambition, we have set for ourselves, we are looking for colleagues who are ready to live our ethos every day. Come be a part of this journey!
SENIORITY LEVEL: Mid-Senior Level
FUNCTION: Marketing R&D (Research & Development)
SALARY RANGE: 47,440-59,300 GBP/year + excellent benefits + market leading bonus
TYPE OF CONTRACT: Permanent
- Flexibility for working from home (depending on the work requirements)
- UK yearly Incentive Bonus – competitive % based on business results and average annual salary
- Attractive Private Pension Plan - up to 15%, Private Medical cover, Doctor @hand-24/7 GP appointments, by video or by phone, 365 days a year, from anywhere in the world
- Share Reward Scheme (free shares and share saving scheme), Group Personal Accident Insurance, Life Assurance
- Flexible Benefits Scheme: Tax Return Assistance, Cycle To Work, Holiday Trading, Dental Insurance, Travel Insurance; Onsite Gym and Gyms Discounts-discounts at over 3,700 gyms, SPAs, pools, studios and outdoor fitness events across the UK; Season Ticket loans-Interest free loans for purchase of annual tickets for public transport
ROLE POSITIONING AND OBJECTIVES
What are the key objectives and expectations from this role?
With an innovative mindset, manage elements of both exploratory and Commercially led development projects on Tobacco Heating Product Consumables, as required to deliver the 5-year innovation pipeline within the fast-moving pace of the Tobacco Heating Product (THP) portfolio.
The Product Developer II is accountable for the delivery of assigned projects and activities for novel product developments or product upgrades in the R&D portfolio for THP, partnering with internal and external capabilities where appropriate, to support the execution of the commercial vision of a product in development
What is the direct impact of this role on the team or organization?
This role will leverage their technical expertise in the THP space to collaborate with and assist the Senior Product Developer role to implement the product development validation and science plan, using their technical capabilities to promote and integrate enhanced ways of working within the team and upskill the developer roles at junior level
Reports to: Senior Product Developer
Reporting Level: Individual Contributor
Geographic Scope: Global
WHAT YOU WILL BE ACCOUNTABLE FOR
- Acting as technical resource in exploratory product development projects, executing project workstreams for launching new products and support internal development capabilities to deliver the 5-year innovation pipeline
- Partner internally and externally to support in building capabilities and know-how to deliver innovative products that meet consumer/market requirements
- To partnering with internal stakeholders in order to inform the appropriate resource capabilities, such as headcount or funding, necessary for executing the product development programmes
- Being accountable for the delivery of assigned elements of the portfolio of projects and activities within the product development team of THP Consumables, leveraging technical expertise to enhance processes and methodologies within the science team
- Having capability to support on product protection through secure IP, partnering with the LEX (Legal and External Affairs) department for patent work, and that any new technology or process is adequately protected in line with the wider IP Strategy
- Contributing to and leading aspects of the technical development and validation of new THP Consumable products
- Partnering closely with the Senior Product Developer to implement the product development validation and science plan based on regulatory compliance requirements and consumer preference
- Leveraging technical proficiency and broad scientific principles to ensure product development is delivered in line with the wider organisation’s best practices
- Ensuring on time and in full delivery of specifications for new product and/or product modifications in line with project and science plan timescales and launch times to meet business expectations
- Interfacing with multiple internal departments, such as Commercial, Quality, Manufacturing, and Operations, to support these functions through the scale up and commercialisation phases of the development
- Delivering Consumer research sample design and preparation according to project plan, guarantee samples physical, chemical, and sensorial quality
- Driving and coordinating novel Products validation in the factories through the Material Qualification System process
- Supporting the development and upskilling of resources within the team at junior level, enhancing technical knowledge and increasing accuracy and quality of development projects.
CAN THIS BEYOUR FUTURE ROLE?
- Do you have knowledge and experience of FMCG product development and manufacturing?
- Do you also have knowledge and experience of consumer-product insights and product research?
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Excellent Interpersonal and communication skills; ability to influence internal and external key partners & stakeholders up to mid/senior level
- Detailed knowledge and experience of FMCG product development and manufacturing, ideally in the field of Tobacco/THP
- Knowledge and experience of consumer-product insights and consumer research set up and results interpretation
- Ability to meet timescale criteria in line with project expectations
- Ability to manage a portfolio of assigned projects/activities
- A drive to leverage specialist product knowledge to improve ways of working
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to liaise with multiple departments and stakeholders
- Planning and implantation skills
- Understanding of Consumer Research design and impact in the overall development process
- Open minded to rapidly changing priorities and challenges, able to think clearly under pressure and seek new solutions and ways of working
- Fundamental understanding of regulation and compliance
- Fundamental understanding of IP, and when to protect developments
- Able to think fast and in new ways to resolve emerging challenges and develop alternate ways of working
- Experience in a supervisory position would be beneficial, with a proven ability to guide junior team members, ensuring high quality outputs
- Able to develop both individual and team technical capabilities
- Degree-level qualification in a relevant technical field of study or skills developed through industrial experience.
WE ARE BAT
At BAT we are committed to our Purpose of creating A Better Tomorrow. This is what drives our people and our passion for innovation. See what is possible for you at BAT.
- Global Top Employer with 53,000 BAT people across more than 180 markets
- Brands sold in over 200 markets, made in 44 factories in 42 countries
- Newly established Tech Hubs building world-class capabilities for innovation in 4 strategic locations
- Diversity leader in the Financial Times and International Women’s Day Best Practice winner
- Seal Award winner – one of 50 most sustainable companies
BELONGING, ACHIEVING, TOGETHER
Collaboration, diversity and teamwork underpin everything we do here at BAT. We know that collaborating with colleagues from different backgrounds is what makes us stronger and best prepared to meet our business goals. Come bring your difference!