BAT is evolving at pace - truly like no other organisation.
To achieve the ambition, we have set for ourselves, we are looking for colleagues who are ready to live our ethos every day. Come be a part of this journey!
SENIORITY LEVEL: Senior Level
FUNCTION: Marketing R&D (Research & Development)
SALARY RANGE: 64,880-81,100 GBP/year + excellent benefits + market leading bonus
TYPE OF CONTRACT: Permanent
- Flexibility for working from home (depending on the work requirements)
- UK yearly Incentive Bonus – competitive % based on business results and average annual salary
- Attractive Private Pension Plan - up to 15%, Private Medical cover, Doctor @hand-24/7 GP appointments, by video or by phone, 365 days a year, from anywhere in the world
- Share Reward Scheme (free shares and share saving scheme), Group Personal Accident Insurance, Life Assurance
- Flexible Benefits Scheme: Tax Return Assistance, Cycle To Work, Holiday Trading, Dental Insurance, Travel Insurance; Onsite Gym and Gyms Discounts-discounts at over 3,700 gyms, SPAs, pools, studios and outdoor fitness events across the UK; Season Ticket loans-Interest free loans for purchase of annual tickets for public transport
ROLE POSITIONING AND OBJECTIVES
What are the key objectives and expectations from this role?
This role leads the search for, assessment of potential, and the development of new flavour technologies and flavour science – in partnership with the respective Product Discovery & Technology teams - to ensure that all New Categories consumables pipelines (Vapour, Tobacco Heated Products, Modern Oral, and FMC) have the flavour and sensorial technology blocks to meet the requirements of the 5 Year Innovation plans.
Head of Strategic Flavour Innovation
Number of Direct Reports
WHAT YOU WILL BE ACCOUNTABLE FOR
- Defining, inventing and/or demonstrating breakthrough flavour (aroma/taste/sensate) technology for existing consumer benefit spaces and emerging new domains (such as mood enhancement and emotional semiotics) by partnership across the flavour industry and with internal knowledge holders
- Partnering internally with Consumables Discovery teams across the categories to co-develop new technology blocks involving flavour/sensorial dimensions, technical/product science models, and contribute to the delivery of proof-of-concept and proof-of-application products in this early phase of the innovation funnel (PLM).
- Briefing and collaborating with Open Innovation Hubs on transformational flavor materials and technologies
- Collaborating across functions including Consumer Product Safety, Product Compliance, Product Development, Procurement, Quality Assurance and Manufacturing, as well as external vendors, to deliver successful outcomes within specified timelines
- Partnering with with product developers across categories and Analytical Science/Chemosensory Teams to deepen scientific understanding of flavour elements of product performance and stability at first principles chemistry level
- Continuously developing flavour-product technical models to demonstrate how flavour levers impact consumer experience. Use the technical modelling to identify gaps in current technical capability or to identify future winning spaces to operate in. Seek to apply modelling to integrate formulation, physical, sensory and consumer data to predict performance and reduce the need for prototyping
- Protecting new flavour technology / products and new winning spaces with IP. Support the IP team to strengthen existing flavour-related IP where relevant
- Leveraging AI opportunities and Sensory data and combine with consumer research to define strategic flavor opportunities
- Using flavour science and sensory expertise to support and develop Flavourists working on flavour development to increase the flavour expertise and capability within BAT
- Contributing to the development of the Flavour Science skills and capabilities of the flavourists to enhance and maximise the specialism to build the uniqueness and consistency of the BAT product flavours.
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Significant experience in Flavour/Fragrance House or R&D in relevant consumer good industry
- Displays a track-record of creating and developing flavours and/or flavoured/fragranced products across a number of categories and platforms, products and associated IP
- Significant experience in flavour or fragrance development and/or analysis, sensory perception, and flavour science/chemistry
- Application of technology. Experience in defining the job to be done, finding and screening technologies using technical and consumer data to select winning prototypes
- Detailed knowledge and experience of flavour regulatory requirements on a global basis
- Proven ability to work with external partners such as marketing and product development and to smooth internal processes and barriers
- Proven ability to effectively integrate diverse consumer insights into the flavour and technology development requirements in both the short and long term
- Proven excellent project management, time management, team collaboration, and organizational skills
- Proven track record in delivering product innovation at the interface with third parties
- A deep understanding of the science and chemistry of flavours; flavour creation & flavour stability
- A high level of sensory perception and experience of working with flavours and flavour combinations
- High level of technical curiosity with an ability to link what is happening to the chemistry with how the consumer is experiencing the product
- Experience across a breadth of product categories and multiple platforms to be able to advise the business about the flavour technology possibilities and alternatives to achieve product development and market objectives
- Strong managerial/leadership skills, with a proven ability to lead/motivate team members, monitoring performance and ensuring high quality outputs
- Able to influence and coordinate cross-functional teams, including internal and key external partnerships, critical in the delivery of programmes and initiatives to ensure the most effective use of internal/external resource/expertise
- Excellent Interpersonal and communication skills; ability to influence internal and external key partners & stakeholders up to senior level
- Planning and implementation skills & ability to manage a portfolio of projects
- Understanding and experience of the regulations affecting flavours across the world
- Capability to train, coach/develop and support the capabilities of Flavourists in the centre of expertise
- Degree (Masters or PhD preferred) in a Chemistry or related science subject.
WE ARE BAT
At BAT we are committed to our Purpose of creating A Better Tomorrow. This is what drives our people and our passion for innovation. See what is possible for you at BAT.
- Global Top Employer with 53,000 BAT people across more than 180 markets
- Brands sold in over 200 markets, made in 44 factories in 42 countries
- Newly established Tech Hubs building world-class capabilities for innovation in 4 strategic locations
- Diversity leader in the Financial Times and International Women’s Day Best Practice winner
- Seal Award winner – one of 50 most sustainable companies
BELONGING, ACHIEVING, TOGETHER
Collaboration, diversity and teamwork underpin everything we do here at BAT. We know that collaborating with colleagues from different backgrounds is what makes us stronger and best prepared to meet our business goals. Come bring your difference!