Reynolds American is an organization like no other.
To achieve the ambition we have set for ourselves, we are looking for colleagues who are ready to live our ethos every day. Come be a part of this journey!
SENIORITY LEVEL: Management Trainee.
FUNCTION: LEX (Law & External Relations).
LOCATION:Winston-Salem, NC or Washington, DC
ROLE POSITIONING AND OBJECTIVES
What are the key objectives and expectations from this role?
Law and External Affairs (LEX) is offering a Global Graduate position to assist the function with assessing the impact of public policy on Reynolds and its operating companies. The program will provide exciting opportunities for exposure to departments within LEX. You will exhibit initiative and problem-solving skills, as well as work collaboratively on various assignments throughout the program. At the close of your rotation, you will present a project overview, findings, and recommendations to project partners and work teams.
What is the direct impact of this role on the team or organization?
Issues under LEX’s purview directly impact the Company’s ability to develop, market, and sell its products.
WHAT YOU WILL BE ACCOUNTABLE FOR
- Conduct research and develop strategies related to legislation and public policy initiatives.
- Collaborate with Law and External Affairs partners to produce compelling and persuasive content on executive proposals, as well as federal/state/local regulation and legislation.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of messaging and advocacy materials.
- Support implementation of proactive and strategic engagement strategies on legislative and public-policy priorities.
- Contribute to the development of short-term and long-term strategies around legislative issues and initiatives.
- Support the development and dissemination of Tobacco Harm-Reduction (THR) materials and messaging.
- Identify emerging legislative and regulatory issues at the state and local level and support response strategy.
- Participate in company cross-functional teams on company initiatives.
- Monitor and track legislative activities and provide summaries of hearings and speeches.
- Coordinate logistics for calls and meetings.
- Lead or support special projects and initiatives as directed by the VP of Federal Government Relations and VP or State Government Relations.
CAN THIS BE YOUR FUTURE ROLE?
- Are you comfortable moving in a fast-moving, demanding environment?
- Are you interested in learning more about government relations and the legislative process?
- Are you interested in engaging in legislative advocacy and policy issues that impact Reynolds?
- Do you have an interest in politics?
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Excellent verbal, written communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Be able to work both independently as well as part of a team environment.
- Strong business acumen.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
Technical / Functional / Leadership Skills Required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including a comprehensive understanding of AP Style.
- Ability to take complex topics and make them approachable for stakeholder groups with various levels of understanding.
- Self-starter that is comfortable navigating ambiguity.
- Adept at using and learning various digital content management systems (CMS), including WordPress, Hootsuite and similar platforms.
Education / Qualifications / Certifications Required
- Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, History, Law, Public Relations, or related.
- Obtained undergraduate degree within the last three years.
- Domestic mobility.
- Legislative or policy experience
- Familiarity with the political and legislative process
- PowerPoint proficiency
- Competitive Annual Salary
- Targeted Annual Bonus
- Relocation assistance available for those who qualify.
Our company offers very competitive benefit plans, including:
- 401(k) plan that offers opportunity to save on pre- and post-tax basis up to 50 percent of eligible compensation. Company matches 100 percent of employee pre-tax/Roth. (401k) contributions up to six percent.
- Comprehensive health- and welfare-benefits package.
- Eleven paid company holidays annually, plus a generous paid vacation plan based on length of service.
- Company-paid sick and personal days, funeral leave, and jury duty leave; Also Parental leave/Reduced Work Schedule.
- Confidential personal financial counselling service.
- On-site health clinics and fitness centers.
- A matching grants program that enables employees to direct and double their donations to qualifying charitable organizations of their choice.
- Health-care advocacy service.
- Volunteer service opportunities.
- Federal credit union membership through Allegacy Federal Credit Union.
- Extensive training opportunities.
Our organization offers a level of challenge, responsibility and creativity for motivated employees that welcome opportunities for growth. We are also committed to employing a diverse workforce and valuing different perspectives, experiences, and talents to improve the company's potential for optimally achieving its business objectives!
Reynolds American Inc. and its affiliated companies is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. Only applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact us directly via email at TalentAcquisition@RJRT.com.
About our organization:
Reynolds American Inc. is an indirect, wholly owned subsidiary of British American Tobacco p.l.c., and the U.S. parent company of R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company; Santa Fe Natural Tobacco Company, Inc.; American Snuff Company, LLC; Modoral Brands Inc.; R. J. Reynolds Vapor Company; Lorillard Licensing Company, LLC; Reynolds Brands, Inc.; Vuse Stores LLC; Kentucky BioProcessing, Inc.; RAI Services Company and Reynolds Marketing Services Company. This position is with Job Number: 41157